Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Project management or business development?

164>I hold a Ph.D. in Cancer Medicine and worked for 3 years as a R%26amp;D scientist screening novel anti-cancer drugs. I pursued my MBA and finished my degree less than one year ago. Since completing my MBA, I took up a position at a large pharmaceutical service provider identifying risks in study protocols (for clients) through global investigator surveys and help pepare material for proposals and bid defense meeting (for internal use).





I like my position but would like to use my MBA skills more and am planning to look for other positions in 6-9 months time.


Given my background, I am thinking I would be suitable as a clinical project manager or in business development. I believe business development jobs will lead to more oppurtunities later on.


Is that correct? Also,what is the career path of a project manager in the pharma sector?





I would be interested in your views!


Thank you!
Reply:Hi,





I have been working as a business development in a biotech company. My daily role was as following:





1- researching the market to find out potential customers


2- cold calling the leads and leading them to opportunities.


3- optimising the contracts and communicating with CSOs and CEOs of the biotech/pharma companies.


4- following up the payment with the finance department of client and our own company.


5- Updating the salesforce, which is a website specifically designed as the client-customer database resource.





The next step was my manager who was technically %26quot;the business development manager%26quot; and he was involved in generating new potential customers by travelling around the world, having meetings, and conducting presentations.





I%26#039;m not sure how much he was earning, but I am sure, he was getting comission for his sales.





The role of my friend as a project manager, was more like organising conferences, and meetings as well as data entry. She had nothing to do with the sales itself, but she was mainly the %26quot;communicator%26quot;.





Whatever you choose, wish you luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment