Friday, April 17, 2009

Rallying for someone else's cause?

448>Just read about %26quot;10 Important Women You%26#039;ve Never Heard Of%26quot;. While I commend these women and I am inspired by their commitment to help others, I can%26#039;t help but notice that the others they want to help are other women. What is the challenge in wanting someone just like you to have a better life?


Where is the woman concerned with testicular cancer? The man concerned with abused women? The white person rallying for better education for african americans? The african american concerned about anti-semitism? These people would be my heroes. Do we only honor those who want the best for their own kind?
Reply:Hi RJ! There are a lot of people whose interests cross the lines of their own backgrounds...but the reaction isn%26#039;t great. People either say %26quot;why would you work for those others instead of your own?%26quot; or, especially in the case of white people rallying for African-Americans - paternalistic or condescending.





I don%26#039;t agree with these views at all...I%26#039;m just saying it%26#039;s out there. I support HRC and I%26#039;m not gay, but that%26#039;s a small thing. I know lots of men concerned with abused women, but their action tends to be local - beating on the guy, or helping one woman out of a bad situation.





Lots of people take a longer view, too. I work for progressive candidates because I feel that they cover most of the issues I care about. My DH and I chose careers in service instead of the money because it was the best way to make a larger impact. But they%26#039;re our jobs, not our donations.





It%26#039;s out there, my friend...you just have to look for it.





Be good!


No comments:

Post a Comment